Adverts

• Index
  •  » JavaScript
  •  » EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The quarterback carousel hasnt stopped turning

#1 2016-09-16 13:42:42

ying1993
Prince

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The quarterback carousel hasnt stopped turning

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The quarterback carousel hasnt stopped turning for the Vikings and it seems to spin more wildly out of control each week. After an awful debut on Monday night, Josh Freeman reported to team headquarters this week with concussion-like symptoms. The short week will make it difficult for him to gain clearance to play Sunday night against Green Bay. Step right up, Christian Ponder. Its your turn to hop on for another ride when the Vikings (1-5) host the Packers (4-2). "Its an opportunity to get back in the saddle and be more vocal and take ahold of this position," Ponder said on Wednesday after practice, "because I dont want to give it back." Ponder started the first three games of the season, was injured and then lost his job to backup Matt Cassel. Cassel played well in a victory over Pittsburgh and poorly in a loss to Carolina two weeks ago, prompting coach Leslie Frazier to turn to the newly signed Freeman against the New York Giants on Monday. Freeman went 20 for 53 for 190 yards and one interception in the loss to the Giants, but coach Leslie Frazier said Tuesday that he would stick with Freeman going forward as the starter. Then Freeman was diagnosed with the concussion symptoms, thrusting Ponder back into the middle of the action. For a team that is looking to stabilize itself during a massively disappointing first six weeks, the ins and outs at quarterback arent helping. "At the quarterback position, you want to know who is going to be lining up week-in and week-out," Frazier said. "But thats the circumstance where we are and Christian will do a good job for us on Sunday night." When the season started, it was Ponder who was cast as the franchise quarterback. He had been inconsistent in his first two seasons in the league after being taken 12th overall in 2011. But GM Rick Spielman and Frazier were confident that he would follow the path of Eli Manning and have a breakout season in Year 3. Then they watched Ponder complete just 59 per cent of his passes and throw five interceptions to just two touchdown passes in three straight losses to open the season and made the decision that his time as the teams starting quarterback had come to an end. Ponder was clearly disappointed with the decision, and he didnt get a lot of help from a lacklustre offensive line in the process, but he bit his tongue and moved forward as Freeman was brought in to take over. "Hes a competitor and he wants to be out there for sure. But hes handled it well," Frazier said. "Our conversations have been positive. We even talked last week about the possibility of something like this happening, just being ready. When youre in a backup role it takes one play for you to have to be the starter so youve got to make sure your mind is right and youre doing what youve got to do to prepare to go out and play and play well." Veteran receiver Greg Jennings, who will be facing his former team for the first time this week, said he hopes Ponder has learned from his time on the sideline. "Any time you have to take a backseat, any time you have to sit down for a minute, it gives you time to reflect and I think hes done that," Jennings said. "Hes seen how important it is to play at a high level at that position. But even more importantly, how important that position is to the overall success of the team and what it takes to actually hold that position. "Its not just about your quarterback play, its about how you lead off the field as well and on the field, how you command the huddle, how you demand things of your teammates. I think hes had the opportunity to see that." Ponder said he was surprised by the "short leash" he had to start the season, and he thinks he was putting too much pressure on himself. Life as a backup has given him a new perspective. "Now is the opportunity to take that deep breath and go out and have fun again," Ponder said. "I already got benched, so it cant get worse than that." Johnathan Hankins Jersey . Louis Cardinals. Victorino is batting sixth and playing right field after missing two games because of back tightness. Kelvin Sheppard Giants Jersey . -- The St. Johns IceCaps weathered a wild first period with the help of goaltender Jussi Olkinuora, before finding offensive inroads in the second. http://www.nygiantsfanatic.com/c-5-gian … ersey.aspx . Newcastle dominated in the early stages but City weathered the storm and then raised its game in extra time. Negredo broke the deadlock from close range after a simple move in the 99th minute before Dzeko took the ball round goalkeeper Tim Krul to seal the victory in the 105th. Jonathan Casillas Jersey . Miikka Kiprusoff had just announced his retirement after a decade-long run in Calgary and it would be up to Berra and Ramo to fill the void. Mark Herzlich Giants Jersey .com) - The Montreal Canadiens embark on their first road trip of the season as they head out west to battle the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night. CHICAGO -- The Texas Rangers ended their homer drought in a big way. Adam Rosales, Jeff Baker and pinch-hitter Mitch Moreland each had two-run shots to go with solo a drive by Adrian Beltre and a bizarre inside-the-park effort by Ian Kinsler in Fridays 11-5 win over the Chicago White Sox. The AL West-leading Rangers (75-53) won for the 19th time in 23 games to move a season-high 22 games over .500. "Weve got guys that can hit the ball out of the ballpark, but we just havent been hitting it out of the ballpark," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "All that tells me is were able to win baseball games many, many ways, not just with the long ball." The White Sox were unable to overcome a shaky outing by ace Chris Sale, ending a season-high six-game winning streak. Sale (9-12) allowed eight runs and eight hits in seven innings. "I really have no excuses in my corner, really," Sale said. "My arm felt good, my body felt good, my mind was right. I even felt like my stuff was good. Sometimes you just get beat." A.J. Pierzynski and Alex Rios each had a nice night in their return to U.S. Cellular Field for the first time since leaving the White Sox. Pierzynski, who signed with Texas as a free agent in the off-season, went 1 for 4 with a sacrifice fly. Rios, who was traded to the Rangers on Aug. 9, had two hits and scored two runs. Pierzynski received a standing ovation when he was introduced in the first inning. Before the game, the team showed highlights of his White Sox career on the centre field video board. "It was hard to keep my emotions in check, especially the first couple innings," Pierzynski said. "Its just weird to go out there, as long as I was on the other side. Just to see the field from a different perspective is just odd. I dont know how to explain it." The strangest play of the game was Kinslers inside-the-park homer. His third inning line drive rolled into a drainage track under the left-field line wall. By the time Dayan Viciedo was able to find the ball,, Kinsler was on his way to the plate for his 11th homer and a 5-3 Rangers lead.dddddddddddd "He did exactly what he was supposed to do, kept running, and it worked in our favour," Washington said. "The ground rules say that if the ball is trapped and visible, you have to go get it. It was visible." White Sox manager Robin Ventura came out to argue the play and was ejected. "I figured since (Viciedo) got on his hands and knees trying to go get it, you would think it would be lodged underneath there pretty good that they would rule a double but (third base umpire Greg Gibson) didnt," Ventura said. Baker and Rosales connected in the second inning, powering Texas to a 4-0 lead. Rosales added a sacrifice fly in the fourth for his third RBI of the game to make it 6-3. Martin Perez (7-3) allowed four runs and eight hits in seven innings for the Rangers, who have won their last nine road games to improve to 37-26 away from home. In the bottom of the second, Perez gave back three of the four runs his team had staked him to in the top of the inning, and also hurt himself with a wild pitch and a balk. "The game was moving along, we put up four runs and started giving them back, but (Perez) showed some presence out there," Washington said. "Thats a veteran move, the way he gathered himself and got himself through seven innings." Viciedo had a two-run single in the second and eventually came around on Gordon Beckhams base hit, pulling the White Sox within one. But that was as close as it would get. Beltre hit his 27th homer in the fifth and Kinsler singled in a run in the seventh to give the Rangers an 8-4 lead. NOTES: It was the first time in Rangers history that they had a pinch-hit and inside-the-park home run in the same game. ... Chicago left eight runners on base, to only four for Texas. ... Saturday is the seventh annual Civil Rights Game. Texas RHP Yu Darvish (12-5, 2.68 ERA) starts against Chicago LHP Hector Santiago (4-7, 3.27 ERA). ... Attendance was 31,891. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China ' ' '

2016-09-16 13:42:42

AdBot
Advertisements
  • Index
  •  » JavaScript
  •  » EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The quarterback carousel hasnt stopped turning

Adverts

Board footer