Adverts

• Index
  •  » JavaScript
  •  » BOSTON -- Jon Lester is proving hes Bostons ace again. Lester pitched

#1 2016-09-07 12:08:02

ying1993
Prince

BOSTON -- Jon Lester is proving hes Bostons ace again. Lester pitched

BOSTON -- Jon Lester is proving hes Bostons ace again. Lester pitched eight dominant innings, and the AL East-leading Red Sox dealt the New York Yankees wild-card hopes another blow with a 5-1 win on Saturday. The 29-year old left-hander is 6-3 since mid-July with a 2.52 ERA in 12 starts after a rough stretch midway through the season. "What hes done since the All Star break has been consistent with how hes started the season," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "A well above-average pitcher, a front-line starter and thats what Jon Lester is." Lester (14-8) was solid from the start, mixing a sharp cutter with a well-spotted, mid-90s fastball. He allowed one run and three hits, striking out five and walking two for his fourth win in six starts. Midway through the season, he went 0-4 in six starts with a 7.20 ERA. "I knew after what I went through at the middle of the year that its just a matter of time and things will take care of itself," he said. "I think anytime you take someone thats had some success, your confidence is high. When you struggle, that kind of varies from certain starts." Mike Napoli, Jonny Gomes and Shane Victorino each had two hits as the surging Red Sox won for the 16th time in 19 games, and beat the Yankees for the fifth time in six meetings in just over a week. Napoli, in his first season with the Red Sox, has seen the best of Lester from the opposite side. "I remember facing him when he had his changeup, its tough because hed throw that cutter in on your hands and a changeup strike when hes just pounding you inside all the time," he said. "Hes been doing great. You can see hes confident out there. Hes just getting the ball and throwing." The Yankees lost their second straight after a three-game winning streak and fell 2 1/2 games behind Tampa Bay for the ALs second wild-card spot. The Rays play at Minnesota on Saturday night. "You have to find a way to get it done is the bottom line," New York manager Joe Girardi said of facing Lester. "Hes been throwing the ball well. He threw it well against us last time and he did it again today, but youve still got to find a way." Boston entered the day with an 8 1/2-game lead over second-place Tampa Bay. The Red Sox (91-59) improved to a season-high 32 games over .500, their best mark since the final day of their World Series championship season in 2004. Franklin Morales worked a perfect ninth. For the second time in week, Boston goes for a sweep against New York. Last weekend, the Red Sox won the initial three of a four-game set at Yankee Stadium but lost the finale. The Red Sox built a 5-1 lead against CC Sabathia (13-13) after five innings. "I felt like I was behind everybody and got into some tough counts," Sabathia said. "With a team like they have, when you get behind and in a hitters count, youre going to give up some hard-hit balls." Will Middlebrooks run-scoring grounder gave Boston a 1-0 edge in the second. Napoli singled before moving up on a walk and sacrifice. In the third, David Ortiz had an RBI double and Gomes added a run-scoring single. Sabathia then fanned the next two hitters with runners on first and third. Lester breezed through the first nine batters, holding the Yankees hitless before Curtis Granderson tripled off the centre field wall leading off the fourth. He scored on Robinson Canos bouncer to first to make it 3-1. But Victorino had a two-out RBI single in the bottom half. Sabathia went six innings, allowing five runs on nine hits, walking four and striking out five. Hes 4-6 with a 6.48 ERA in his last three seasons against the Red Sox. Daniel Navas sacrifice fly increased it to it 5-1. NOTES: Yankees OF Alfonso Soriano was a late scratch with a sprained right thumb and is listed as day to day. He was scheduled to bat cleanup, so Alex Rodriguez was dropped from second to fourth and Vernon Wells moved from right field to left. Ichiro Suzuki, who was not scheduled to be in the lineup, was inserted in right and batted eighth. "It was bothering him yesterday, but it got worse today," Girardi said. ... The Yankees activated RHP David Phelps (strained right forearm) from the 60-day DL and moved Derek Jeter (sore left ankle) to the 60-day DL before the game. "Probably a one-inning guy, not much longer," Girardi said of Phelps role. "He didnt really get a chance to build up (his arm strength) to be a long guy." ... Farrell said LHP Felix Doubront will throw a side session Sunday, a simulated game Tuesday and "likely in the Toronto series (next weekend) in a starting role." Farrell also said Doubront hasnt been used due to "fatigue." ... Ivan Nova (8-4, 3.17 ERA) goes for the Yankees in the series finale against Clay Buchholz (10-0, 1.61 ERA) on Sunday night. Buchholz will be making his second start since coming off the DL. He was out since early June with a strained neck. ... Boston improved to 12-6 against New York. Larry Fitzgerald Cardinals Jersey .25 million option on reliever Jose Veras. Authentic Carson Palmer Jersey .Y. -- Injured Buffalo Sabres forward Marcus Foligno did not practice with the team Monday and head coach Ron Rolston said its unlikely hell play in Wednesdays season opener in Detroit. http://www.thecardinalsshoponline.com/Y … ls-Jersey/ .R. Smith realized how easily basketball can be taken from him, and he wasnt going to take his place in the NBA for granted anymore. Authentic Tyrann Mathieu Jersey . -- Ryan Getzlaf grabbed the three pucks wrapped in tape and held them up to his chest in the Anaheim Ducks dressing room for a celebration nine seasons in the making. Custom Arizona Cardinals Jersey . Ouellette, from Montreal, already has three Olympic gold medals since joining the team in 1999. As head coach of Canadas junior mens national team, Roy Rana has worked with the countrys brightest talent, and having coached the likes of Tristan Thompson and Andrew Wiggins among others, knows what separates the good from the elite. Coincidentally, it only took two summers for Tyler Ennis to prove he could make the jump, during which, Rana witnessed a maturation in the Brampton, Ont. native, that makes his standout play leading the undefeated Syracuse Orange (18-0) a logical progression rather than a surprise. During the 2012 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship, the 6-foot-2 point guard endured an arduous tournament, struggling in pressure situations. Matchups and defensive schemes posed challenges for Ennis as the Canadian squad had a strong showing, but lost to the host Brazilians 66-62 in the semifinal round. As a result, Rana and his staff talked with Ennis extensively regarding his leadership and need to carry the team. Ennis took the direction and loss to heart and came back a reinvented player the following summer at the FIBA Under-19 World Championship. “It was amazing to see his transformation within that year,” Rana said. “Just how much more confident he was in himself, how much more assertive, how much more of a leader he was. He really started to understand the subtleties of how to impact his teammates.” This time around Ennis was also asked to shoulder Canadas scoring load, something he did effortlessly. Ennis averaged a tournament leading 20.9 points, outscoring projected 2014 NBA lottery picks Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, Dario Saric and Aaron Gordon. By riding that performance into his freshman season at Syracuse he has been a steadying force, toning down his scoring to facilitate the team offence, but also making key baskets when needed. Ennis averages 11.9 points per game and shoots 40 percent from the three-point line and leads the Orange with 5.5 assists and 2.7 steals per (the latter, good for ninth in the nation). His numbers and Syracuses record make a very strong case that Ennis is the best point guard in college basketball right now - regardless of class. Despite his solid stats he maintains the individual numbers and accolades arent his ambition. “I dont really have any personal goals,” Ennis saaid.dddddddddddd “I just want us to win the ACC and I know its close to impossible to go undefeated in a college season, but to just get better as a team and lose the least amount of games.” Syracuse has yet to lose and Ennis wont concede a loss to anyone, not even his own family. His older brother Dylan, a sophomore guard for the number four ranked Villanova Wildcats squared off against his younger sibling when both teams met in late December. Tyler was all business in that game scoring 20 points in a 78-62 Syracuse win, but still values the advice his brother gave him on preparing for his first year at the collegiate level. “He always told me to get in the gym by myself and work on my own stuff,” Ennis said. “Just get in the gym as much as possible, while taking care of your body.” Ennis wasnt overlooked coming into the season, but not even the most optimistic experts pegged him as a one-and-done NBA prospect. Ennis had other plans however. “Thats pretty much what I worked for,” he confidently said. “Not to be one, but to just have the opportunity to get to the professional level. Not to leave, but just to have the opportunity.” Still, he hasnt given leaving after his first year any consideration and is only focused on winning games for Syracuse. But ?talent evaluators are starting to take notice that his play to date says first round pick far more than it says first-year student-athlete. “Absolutely, I think hes a one-and-done guy,” Rana said. “Its his choice, does he want to come back for a second year of college, or does he want to go to the NBA? If Im a GM and Im drafting, hes certainly a guy I would be going after pretty hard. Hes going to be a fantastic pro, a great NBA player and whatever organization he goes to, theyre going to be a better organization because of it.” Regardless of his future, Ennis is focused on the madness of March. His maturity, ability to score, pass and affect the game in a myriad of ways is no longer a surprise to anyone. The summer ahead could prove to be even more promising than the last, particularly if he chooses to forego his college eligibility for the NBA Draft, making another jump, this time to the highest level. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China ' ' '

2016-09-07 12:08:02

AdBot
Advertisements
  • Index
  •  » JavaScript
  •  » BOSTON -- Jon Lester is proving hes Bostons ace again. Lester pitched

Adverts

Board footer